Friday, December 17, 2010

From JFK to Obama; why I'm done.

It’s no secret that we go through stages in life, most of them segue seamlessly; yet we all have climactic moments that we can pinpoint; the birth of a child, death of a loved one, war. We also have currents that run throughout our lives, our passions, our fears and hopes. I have been a political animal, espouser of causes, a would-be world saver since my senior year in high school when I attended a campaign rally for John Kennedy and had the great fortune to meet him and Mrs Kennedy. I spent part of one, long, very hot summer during university in Montgomery, Alabama much to the distress of my mother. Those were exciting times and you could almost feel a change was coming, not the current “change” of a glib, charming charlatan.
Recently, I’ve made some major lifestyle changes best characterized by the country western icon Willie Nelson when queried as to why he quit drinking; “I got sick and tired of waking up feeling sick and tired.” I have had more lucid moments in the last 3 months than in the last 20 years. There were several events during the summer that formed a perfect storm for a new stage and I realized what I could do to make my life more harmonious.
As I look at world events over the past 50 years I feel that all my involvement, all the arguing with conservatives, all the ranting on Twitter and even the tear gas inhaled has basically come to naught. We all preach to our own choirs and seldom sway opinion. The truth is that I don’t want to waste anymore time trying to save the world. I’ll leave that to the “bright-eyed and bushy tailed”-as we were called by our wonderful civics teacher my senior year in high school.
It’s time now to be at peace for the rest of my life, enjoying my passions for music, baseball, food, prose and poetry. Of course, I mean my own personal peace. I have little hope for humanity to stop doing what it has done since the first human cracked open the skull of another.
So I have decided to retire my “political” Twitter account, @GGMMX, to concentrate on blog posts. Twitter has introduced me to some great folks and I hope they will continue to follow me on my protected, non-political account and/or read my blog. The caveat being, if you start ranting about politics or religion, you are gone! So, if you are a campaigner or activist, I wish you more success than those who have gone before you and I urge you not to darken my door.

4 comments:

  1. I think u have an astoundingly perceptive point of few & am very much looking forward to reading ur blog now that Ive discovered it.

    Will miss ur twts & ISS accountings. Hope to follow u on other account. & hope u don't put the soapbox completely aside. @dobbs2009

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, old habits are hard to shed. I hope you enjoy the posts of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I can't say more than good luck and wish us the “bright-eyed and bushy tailed" Luck on continuing the way since I just started, I know there will be time for me to get tired too and try to catch what I miss in my own life, but we will see....
    sure I will be following you here and really enjoy your new coming stage of life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your wishes. Those who carry on the struggle are the only hope for humanity. Best wishes for your future.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!